OK so in my (admittedly basic) understanding of raidz and raidz2, these
technologies are very similar to raid5 and raid6.  BUT if you set up one disk
as a raidz vdev, you (obviously) can't maintain data after a disk failure, but
you are protected against data corruption that is NOT a result of disk failure.
 Right?

So is there a resource somewhere that I could look at that clearly spells out
how many disks I could have vs. how much resulting space I would have that
would still protect me against disk failure (a la the "Drobolator"
http://www.drobo.com/drobolator/index.html)?  I mean, if I have a raidz vdev
with one disk, then I add a disk, am I protected from disk failure?  Is it the
case that I need to have disks in groups of 4 to maintain protection against
single disk failure with raidz and in groups of 5 for raidz2?  It gets even
more confusing if I wanted to add disks of varying sizes...

And you said I could add a disk (or disks) to a mirror -- can I force add a
disk (or disks) to a raidz or raidz2?  Without destroying and rebuilding as I
read would be required somewhere else?

And if I create a zpool and add various single disks to it (without creating
raidz/mirror/etc), is it the case that the zpool is essentially functioning
like spanning raid?  Ie, no protection at all??

Please either point me to an existing resource that spells this out a little
clearer or give me a little more explanation around it.

And...  do you think that the Drobo (www.drobo.com) product is essentially just
a box with OpenSolaris and ZFS on it?