Marc Bevand wrote:

> Overall, like you I am frustrated by the lack of non-RAID inexpensive native
> PCI-E SATA controllers.

Why non-raid? Is it cost?

Personally I'm interested in a high port count RAID card, with as much
battery-backed cache RAM as possible, and that can export as many LUNS
as it can handle drives. I want a card like that so that I can give ZFS
as many single drive RAID 0 luns that have battery-backed write caches
as possible.

I know it won't be cheap, but it should perform really good.

In my current machines (IBM x346's), I'm stuck with U320 scsi internal
for now, but I have the 256MB internal battery backed '7k' RAID card,
and I've made 5 1 disk RAID0 LUNs to get the benefits of the write cache
on the card but still let ZFS have the benefits of a many disk JBOD.

I'm on the look out for SATA RAID card with 1-4GB of battery-backed
Cache to redo this config with 10-24 SATA drives.
I'll probably end up with multiple cards, since 1GB caches seem to be
the most I've found.

       -Kyle