We have a test machine installed with a ZFS root (snv_77/x86 and
"rootpol/rootfs" with grub support).

Recently tried to update it to snv_89 which (in Flag Days list) claimed more
support for ZFS boot roots, but the installer disk didn't find any previously
installed operating system to upgrade.

Then we tried to install SUNWlu* packages from snv_89 disk onto snv_77 system.
It worked in terms of package updates, but lucreate fails:

# lucreate -n snv_89
ERROR: The system must be rebooted after applying required patches.
Please reboot and try again.

Apparently we rebooted a lot and it did not help...

How can we upgrade the system?

In particular, how does LU do it? :)

Now working on an idea to update all existing packages in the cloned root,
using pkgrm/pkgadd -R. Updating "only some" packages didn't help much (kernel,
zfs, libs).

A backup plan is to move the ZFS root back to UFS, update and move it back.
Probably would work, but not an elegant job ;)

Suggestions welcome, maybe we'll try out some of them and report ;)