On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On my heavily-patched Solaris 10U4 system, the size of /var (on UFS)
> has gotten way out of hand due to the remarkably large growth of
> /var/sadm.  Can this directory tree be safely moved to a zfs
> filesystem?  How much of /var can be moved to a zfs filesystem without
> causing boot or runtime issues?

/var/sadm is not used during boot.

If you have been patching regularly, you probably have a bunch of
undo.Z files that are used only in the event that you want to back
out.  If you don't think you will be backing out any patches that were
installed 90 or more days ago the following commands may be helpful:

To understand how much space would be freed up by whacking the old undo files:

# find /var/sadm/pkg -mtime +90 -name undo.Z | xargs du -k \
    | nawk '{t+= $1; print $0} END {printf("Total: %d MB\n", t / 1024)}'

Copy the old backout files somewhere else:

# cd /var/sadm
# find pkg -mtime +90 -name undo.Z \
        | cpio -pdv /somewhere/else

Remove the old (90+ days) undo files

# find /var/sadm/pkg -mtime +90 -name undo.Z | xargs rm -f

Oops, I needed those files to back out 123456-01

# cd /somewhere/else
# find pkg -name undo.Z | grep 123456-01 \
        | cpio -pdv /var/sadm
# patchrm 123456-01

Before you do this, test it and convince yourself that it works.  I
have not seen Sun documentation (either docs.sun.com or
sunsolve.sun.com) that says that this is a good idea - but I haven't
seen any better method for getting rid of the cruft that builds up in
/var/sadm either.

I suspect that further discussion on this topic would be best directed
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or sun-managers mailing list (see
http://www.sunmanagers.org/).

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/