-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thommy M.
Sent: 02 June 2008 13:19
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS problems with USB Storage devices

Paulo Soeiro wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was experimenting with zfs, and i made the following test, i shutdown
> the computer during a write operation
> in a mirrored usb storage filesystem.
>
> Here is my configuration
>
> NGS USB 2.0 Minihub 4
> 3 USB Silicom Power Storage Pens 1 GB each
>
> These are the ports:
>
> hub devices
> /-------------------------------------------\
> | port 2         | port  1              |
> | c10t0d0p0  | c9t0d0p0          |
> | port 4         | port  4              |
> | c12t0d0p0  | c11t0d0p0        |
> \________________________/
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> 1)First i create a mirror with port2 and port1 devices
>
> zpool create myPool mirror c10t0d0p0 c9t0d0p0
> -bash-3.2# zpool status
>   pool: myPool
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>     NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>     myPool         ONLINE       0     0     0
>       mirror       ONLINE       0     0     0
>         c10t0d0p0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>         c9t0d0p0   ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
>   pool: rpool
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>     rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
>       c5t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> 2)zfs create myPool/myfs
>
> 3)created a random file (file.txt - more or less 100MB size)
>
> digest -a md5 file.txt
> 3f9d17531d6103ec75ba9762cb250b4c
>
> 4)While making a second copy of the file:
>
> cp file.txt test &
>
> I've shutdown the computer while the file was being copied. And
> restarted the computer again. And here is the result:
>

> -bash-3.2# zpool status
>   pool: myPool
>  state: UNAVAIL
> status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing
>     or invalid.  There are insufficient replicas for the pool to continue
>     functioning.
> action: Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>     NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>     myPool         UNAVAIL      0     0     0  insufficient replicas
>       mirror       UNAVAIL      0     0     0  insufficient replicas
>         c12t0d0p0  OFFLINE      0     0     0
>         c9t0d0p0   FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
>
>   pool: rpool
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>     rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
>       c5t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors

> I was expecting that only one of the files was corrupted, not the all
> [...]

This looks exactly like the problem I had (thread "USB stick unavailable
after restart") and the answer I got was that you can't relay on the HUB ...

I haven't tried another HUB yet but will eventually test the Adaptec
XHub 4 (AUH-4000) which is on the HCL list...