On Jun 3, 2008, at 18:34, Paulo Soeiro wrote:

> This test was done without the hub:

FWIW, I bought 9 microSD's and 9 USB controller units for them from
NewEgg to replicate the famous ZFS demo video, and I had problems
getting them working with OpenSolaris (on VMWare on OSX, in this case).

After getting frustrated and thinking about it for a while, I decided
to test each MicroSD card and controller independently (using dd) and
one of the adapters turned out to be flakey at just writing zeros.
It also happened to be the #0 adapter which through me off for a
while, since that's where I started.  So, then I was still having
problems (but I had tested the remaining units), so I went home for
the weekend, and left them plugged into their hubs (i-rocks brand
seems OK so far), and came back to a system log full of a second
adapter dropping out several times over the weekend (though it
survived a quick dd).  Taking it off the hub, it did the same thing
for me if I waited long enough (10 minutes or so - I assume it was
getting warmed up).

I've also had to replace a server mobo which had a faulty USB
implementation (Compaq brand, one of the early USB2.0 chips).

Just food for thought - there's a lot to go wrong before ZFS sees it
and USB gear isn't always well-made.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/