Brandon High wrote:
> Inexpensive cases have inexpensive power supplies.
>
> Most of the Antec cases come with good power supplies. I have a
> Thermaltake Matrix case that came with a PSU and it's been reliable
> for 2 years. I believe the case and PSU was about $100.

I just picked up an Antec Earthwatts EA-650 power supply from NewEgg.
It doesn't come in a case as far as I know, but it's very quiet and runs
my AMD AM2 dual-core CPU very nicely.  I'm now a fan.  I've thinking
about replacing a perfectly-useful Asus power supply that I have in
another case with one of the Earthwatts series power supplies, due to
the noise.

Most of the weirdnesses that I associate with the power supply problems
are hard to truly pin on the power supply.  But a sub-par power-supply
really can affect the stability of the system.  Historically AMD CPUs
have historically worked, but been unstable when paired with a sub-par
power supply (I was able to pin one of these 100% on the power supply).
This goes back as far as the original Athlons.  Intel CPUs started being
finicky around the time the Prescott was released.  There are a lot of
crappy power supplies out there for sale...

I'd advise against skimping on the power supply.  I've ordered new cases
and/or power supplies for the last three of my home-builds -- and
putting a good power supply in there really does correlate (but
correlation != causation) with having a stable system.

-Luke

P.S. Anyone in Southwest Virginia want an Inwin Micro-ATX half-height
case with a questionable 350-watt power supply?