On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Jeff Bonwick wrote:

> I agree with that.  format(1M) and cfgadm(1M) are, ah, not the most
> user-friendly tools.  It would be really nice to have 'zpool disks'
> go out and taste all the drives to see which ones are available.
>
> We already have most of the code to do it.  'zpool import' already
> contains the taste-all-disks-and-slices logic, and 'zpool add'
> already contains the logic to determine whether a device is in use.
> Looks like all we're really missing is a call to printf()...

Make sure that the zpool devices command recommends the configurations
preferred for zfs first and requires that the user add an extra option
(e.g. -v) in order to discover less ideal device configurations.  For
example, ZFS prefers whole disks so if the disk contains partitions
but none of them are used, then it can simply suggest the whole disk,
but if some partitions are used it can list the unused partitions
along with a warning that using partitions is a non-ideal
configuration.  If the devices are accessed via different
paths/controllers, then that could be useful info for the user when
selecting devices.

I appreciate that Richard Elling would like to suggest the best
combination out of 281,474,976,710,655 permutations, but at some point
the choice is best left to the educated user. :-)

The first challenge is to find the devices at all.  Optimization is
for later.

Bob