> A Darren Dunham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:56:44PM -0700, Richard
> L. Hamilton wrote:
> >> How about SPARC - can it do zfs install+root yet,
> or if not, when?
> >> Just got a couple of nice 1TB SAS drives, and I
> think I'd prefer to
> >> have a mirrored pool where zfs owns the entire
> drives, if possible.
> >> (I'd also eventually like to have multiple
> bootable zfs filesystems in
> >> that pool, corresponding to multiple versions.)
> >
> > Is they just under 1TB?  I don't believe there's
> any boot support in
> > Solaris for EFI labels, which would be required for
> 1TB+.
>
> ISTR that I saw an ARC case go past about a week ago
> about extended SMI
> labels to allow > 1TB disks, for exactly this reason.

Thanks.  Just searched, that's
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=237603
(approved)

Since format didn't choke, and since a close reading suggests the
actual older limit is 1TiB (or maybe 1TiB - 1 sector), I should be fine
on that score.  The LSI SAS 3800x is supposed to have fcode boot support.
And snv_90 is supposed to have zfs boot install working on both SPARC and x86.
So I guess I'll just have to try it.  That only leaves me wondering whether I
should
attempt a live upgrade from SXCE snv_81, or just do the text install off a DVD
onto one of the new disks (hoping the installer takes care of setting up the
disk
however it needs to be to be bootable), and then adding identical partitioning
to the other disk, attaching a suitable partition on the 2nd disk to the zpool,
and
using LVM (Disk Suite) to mirror any non-zfs partitions the installation
created.

Never having used live upgrade myself (although read about it), I suppose it
would
be an educational experience either way.  Time was once, I'd have looked forward
to that...must be getting tired...