[...]
> > That's not to say that there might not be other
> problems with scaling to
> > thousands of filesystems.  But you're certainly not
> the first one to test it.
> >
> > For cases where a single filesystem must contain
> files owned by
> > multiple users (/var/mail being one example), old
> fashioned
> > UFS quotas still solve the problem where the
> alternative approach
> > with ZFS doesn't.
> >

> A single /var/mail doesn't work well for 10,000 users
> either.  When you
> start getting into that scale of service
> provisioning, you might look at
> how the big boys do it... Apple, Verizon, Google,
> Amazon, etc.  You
> should also look at e-mail systems designed to scale
> to large numbers of
> users
> which implement limits without resorting to file
> system quotas.  Such
> e-mail systems actually tell users that their mailbox
> is too full rather
> than
> just failing to deliver mail.  So please, when we
> start having this
> conversation
> again, lets leave /var/mail out.

I'm not recommending such a configuration; I quite agree that it is neither
scalable nor robust.

It's only merit is that it's an obvious example of where one would have
potentially large files owned by many users necessarily on one filesystem,
inasmuch as they were in one common directory.  But there must  be
other examples where the ufs quota model is a better fit than the
zfs quota model with potentially one filesystem per user.

In terms of the limitations they can provide, zfs filesystem quotas remind me
of DG/UX control point directories (presumably a relic of AOS/VS) - like regular
directories except they could have a quota bound to them restricting the sum of
the space of the subtree rooted there (the native filesystem on DG/UX didn't
have UID-based quotas).

Given restricted chown (non-root can't give files away), per-UID*filesystem
quotas IMO make just as much sense as per-filesystem quotas themselves
do on zfs, save only that per-UID*filesystem quotas make the filesystem less
lightweight.  For zfs, perhaps an answer might be if it were possible to
have per-zpool uid/gid/projid/zoneid/sid quotas too?