On 6/13/08 12:25 AM, "Keith Bierman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I could easily imagine providing two tiers of storage for a
> university environment ... one which wasn't backed up, and doesn't
> come with any serious promises ... which could be pretty inexpensive
> and the second tier which has the kind of commitments you suggest are
> required.
>
> Tier 2 should be better than storing things in /tmp, but could
> approach consumer pricing ... and still be "good enough" for a lot of
> uses.

We have provided multiple "tiers" of storage for years.  However, this
usually didn't involve different "tiers" of hardware.  Rather, it
represented how we treated the files.  We have everything from "staging
pools" where everything is transient (no backups, no real SLA, wild west
rules) to snapshots, disaster recovery replication and backup.

What's really going to change everything is SAMFS.  We're able to take
advantage of $.60/GB disk on X4500, $5/GB disk on SAN and hundreds of TB of
tape "backing store" that also provides real-time backup (our traditional
backup windows are untenable).  Most importantly, we're not tied to a
specific vendor's solutions (though I'm very happy with our closed SAN's
capabilities).

"ILM" is essentially a necessity.  You can't manage storage beyond the "home
server" without it.  I hope that all storage technologies take a holistic
view of the storage management picture.  While ZFS goes a long way to
eliminating distinctions between volume and filesystem management, it is
still a niche player.  As much hype as ZFS snapshots get, that's barely
tiptoeing into the managed storage envelope.  However, I do appreciate the
focus on data integrity.  Without that at every tier, ILM cannot properly do
its job.

Charles

-----

Charles Soto                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Director, Information Technology                 TEL: 512-740-1888
The University of Texas at Austin                FAX: 512-475-9711
College of Communication, CMA 5.150G
1 University Station A0900, Austin, TX 78712
http://communication.utexas.edu/technology/