Regarding the error checking, as others suggested you're best buying two
devices and mirroring them.  ZFS has great error checking, why not use it :D
http://blogs.sun.com/perrin/entry/slog_blog_or_blogging_on

And regarding the memory loss after the battery runs down, that's no different
to any hardware raid controller with battery backed cache, which is exactly how
this should be seen.  ZFS clears the ZIL on a clean shutdown, the only time you
need to worry about battery life is if you have a sudden power failure, and in
that situation I'd much rather have my data being written to the iRAM than to
disk:  With the greater speed, there's a far greater chance of the system
having had time to finish it's writes, and a far better chance that I can power
it on again and have ZFS recover all my data.

I do agree the iRAM looks like a fringe product, but to me it's a fringe
product that works very well for ZFS if you can fit it in your chassis.

Btw, your wishlist is pretty much a word for word description of the high end
model of the 'hyperdrive'.  It supports up to eight 2GB ECC DDR chips, it's got
a 6 hour backup battery (with optional external power too), and it supports
copying the data to a laptop or compact flash disk on power fail.  The only
downside for me is the price.  Around £1,700 to get your hands on a 16GB one:
http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

Ross