Bohdan Tashchuk wrote:
>> However, my pool is not behaving well.  I have had
>> "insufficient replicas" for the pool and "corrupted
>> data" for the mirror piece that is on both the USB
>> drives.
>
> I'm learining about ZFS for the same reason, I want a reliable home server.
> So I've been reading the archives. In March 2007 there was a thread titled
>
>      ZFS and Firewire/USB enclosures
>
> the conclusion was that USB had problems because of the following open bug
>
>      6424510 usb ignores DKIOCFLUSHWRITECACHE
>
>>From what I can tell this bug is still not fixed
>
>      http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6424510
>
> So, help me out here. Can USB be relied on in Solaris? Maybe the original
> poster is hitting this bug?

Hi Bohdan,
that bug was fixed in build 54 of Solaris Nevada, I'm
not sure why bugs.opensolaris.org is showing it as still
being unfixed.

My only problems with USB-attached storage and Solaris
have been due to the actual disks in my enclosures dying.
(Most recently, just as I was about to deliver a ZFS demo
to a large customer. *very annoying*!)

If I didn't have SAS or eSATA available to me, I'd be
going to USB-attached storage without any qualms. As
long as the disk inside the enclosure was 3.5" - those
laptop hard disks still aren't quite there, imnsho.

cheers,
James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems