On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Brandon High wrote:

> Have you tried exporting the individual drives and using zfs to handle
> the mirroring? It might have better performance in your situation.

It should indeed have better performance.  The single LUN exported
from the 2540 will be treated like a single drive from ZFS's
perspective.  The data written needs to be serialized in the same way
that it would be for a drive.  ZFS has no understanding that some
offsets will access a different drive so it may be that one pair of
drives is experiencing all of the load.

The most performant configuration would be to export a LUN from each
of the 2540's 12 drives and create a pool of 6 mirrors.  In this
situation, ZFS will load share across the 6 mirrors so that each pair
gets its fair share of the IOPS based on its backlog.

The 2540 cache tweaks will also help tremendously for this sort of
work load.

Since this is for critical data I would not disable the cache
mirroring in the 2540's controllers.

Bob