On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Robert Milkowski wrote:

> Both on 2540 and 6540 if you do not disable it your performance will
> be very bad especially for synchronous IOs as ZIL will force your
> array to flush its cache every time. If you are not using ZFS on any
> other storage than 2540 on your servers then put "set
> zfs:zfs_nocacheflush=1" in /etc/system and do a reboot. If you
> haven't done so it should help you considerably.

This does not seem wise since then data (records of trades) may be
lost if the system crashes or loses power.  It is much better to apply
the firmware tweaks so that the 2540 reports that the data is written
as soon as it is safely in its NVRAM rather than waiting for it to be
on disk.  ZFS should then perform rather well with low latency.
However, I have yet to see any response from Tharindu which indicates
he has seen any of my emails regarding this (or many emails from
others).  Based on his responses I would assume that Tharindu is
seeing less than a third of the response messages regarding his topic.

Bob