>Going back to your USB remove test, if you protect that disk
>at the ZFS level, such as a mirror, then when the disk is removed
>then it will be detected as removed and zfs status will show its
>state as "removed" and the pool as "degraded" but it will continue
>to function, as expected.
>-- richard

Except it doesn't.  The reason I'm doing these single disk tests is that
pulling a single SATA drive out of my main pool (5 sets of 3 way mirrors) hangs
the whole pool (or if I set failmode=continue, crashes solaris, even though
it's a data pool and holds nothing the OS needs at all).

I also saw before with mirrored iSCSI drives that pulling the network cable on
one hung the ZFS pool for 3 minutes.  ZFS handles checksum errors great, but it
doesn't seem to cope with the loss of devices at all.