> > so you can still go back to snv_70b if needed.
>
> Alas, it would be downgrade. Which is why I think it
> will fail.

Not if you don't upgrade the pool it won't.  ZFS can import and work with an
old version of the filesystem fine.  The manual page for zpool upgrade says:
"Older versions can continue to be used"

Just import it on Solaris 5/08 without doing the upgrade.  Your ZFS pool will
be available and can be served out from the new version.  If you do find any
problems (which I wouldn't expect to be honest), you can plug your old snv_70b
boot disk in if necessary.

> zfs send of the /zvol/ufs volume would take 2 days. Currently it panics
> at least once a day. There appears to be no way to resume a "half
> transfered" zfs send. So, rsyncing smaller bits.

Aaah, that makes sense now.  I don't think you need to do this though, I really
think your idea of swapping the boot disks is the best way of getting this
server up & running.

The absolute worst case scenario is that Solaris 5/08 also crashes on the old
Thumper which means you have faulty hardware.  If that happens you'll probably
need to move your data drives to the new chassis and hope it's not a bad drive
causing the fault.

Either way, let me know how you get on.

Ross