Hi Andy, answer & pointer below...

Andrew Hisgen wrote:
> Question embedded below...
>
> Richard Elling wrote:
>> If you surf to http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-HC you'll
>> see words to the effect that,
>>     The pool has experienced I/O failures. Since the ZFS pool property
>>   'failmode' is set to 'wait', all I/Os (reads and writes) are
>>   blocked. See the zpool(1M) manpage for more information on the
>>   'failmode' property. Manual intervention is required for I/Os to
>>   be serviced.
>>

>>> I would guess that ZFS is attempting to write to the disk in the
>>> background, and that this is silently failing.
>>
>> It is clearly not silently failing.
>>
>> However, the default failmode property is set to "wait" which will
>> patiently
>> wait forever.  If you would rather have the I/O fail, then you should
>> change
>> the failmode to "continue"  I would not normally recommend a failmode of
>> "panic"
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Does failmode==wait cause ZFS itself to retry i/o, that is, to retry an
> i/o where an earlier request (of that same i/o) returned from the driver
> with an error?  If so, that will compound timeouts even further.
>
> I'm also confused by your statement that wait means wait forever, given
> that the actual circumstances here are that zfs (and the rest of the
> i/o stack) returned after 9 minutes.

The details are in PSARC/2007/567.  Externally available at:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/caselog/2007/567/

With failmode=wait, I/Os will wait until "manual intervention" which
is shown as an administrator running zpool clear on the affected pool.

I see the need for a document to help people work through these
cases as they can be complex at many different levels.
 -- richard