Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I really should warn you that I'm very new to Solaris, I'll
> happily share my thoughts but be aware that there's not a lot of experience
> backing them up.
>
>>From what you've said, and the logs you've posted I suspect you're hitting
>>recoverable read errors.  ZFS wouldn't flag these as no corrupt data has been
>>encountered, but I suspect the device driver is logging them anyway.
>
> The log you posted all appears to refer to one disk (sd0), my guess would be
> that you have some hardware faults on that device and if it were me I'd
> probably be replacing it before it actually fails.
>
> I'd check your logs before replacing that disk though, you need to see if
> it's just that one disk, or if others are affected.  Provided you have a
> redundant ZFS pool, it may be worth offlining that disk, unconfiguring it
> with cfgadm, and then pulling the drive to see if that does cure the warnings
> you're getting in the logs.
>
> Whatever you do, please keep me posted.  Your post has already made me
> realise it would be a good idea to have a script watching log file sizes to
> catch problems like this early.
>
> Ross

Thanks for your insights, I'm also relatively new to solaris but i've
been on linux for years. I've just read more into the logs and its
giving these errors for all 3 of my disks (sd0,1,2). I'm running a
raidz1, unfortunately without any spares and I'm not too keen on
removing the parity from my pool as I've got a lot of important files
stored there.

I would agree that this seems to be a recoverable error and nothing is
getting corrupted thanks to ZFS. The thing I'm worried about is if the
entire batch is failing slowly and will all die at the same time.

Hopefully some ZFS/hardware guru can comment on this before the world
ends for me :P

Thanks

Matt

17:30