Richard Elling wrote:

> I see no evidence that the data is or is not correct.  What we know is that
> ZFS is attempting to read something and the device driver is returning EIO.
> Unfortunately, EIO is a catch-all error code, so more digging to find the
> root cause is needed.

I'm currently checking the whole LUN, although as a 42TB unit this will
take a few hours so we'll see how that is tomorrow.

> However, I will bet a steak dinner that if this device was mirrored to
> another,
> the pool will import just fine, with the affected device in a faulted or
> degraded
> state.

On any other file system though, I could probably kick off a fsck and
get back most of the data.  I see the argument a lot that ZFS "doesn't
need" a fsck utility, however I would be inclined to disagree, if not a
full on fsck then something that can patch it up to the point where I
can mount it and then get some data off or run a scrub.

--
Tom

// www.portfast.co.uk -- internet services and consultancy
// hosting from 1.65 per domain