I'm want to upgrade the hardware of my Open Solaris b95 server at
home. It's currently running on 32 bit intel hardware. I'm going 64
bit with the new hardware. I don't need server grade hardware since
this is a home server. This means I'm not buying the an Opteron or
Xeon, or any quad core processor. These were too expensive for my
budget. Desktop grade hardware will be fine. I want something that is
energy efficient, not expensive, and with room for expansion. I want
multiple PCIe (pci express) slots so that I can add an LSI MPT based
SATA HBA (requires x4 or x8) and an Intel dual gigabit nic (requires
x4) in the future. I've got my hardware selection down to a few
choices and was hoping someone could comment on their experiences with
any of this hardware. I've determined that in my situation, the
biggest determining factor is how well the chipset is supported in
Open Solaris.

If I choose to go Intel, I like the Intel X38 chipset because it is
the only current Intel chipset that supports ECC memory. This list
contains a number of threads encouraging the use of ECC memory, so I'd
like to use ECC memory. All of the chipsets I list here support ECC
memory. Also, I've read that Open Solaris has better support for CPU
frequency scaling on Intel processors than AMD ( < family 16 )
processors. Anyways, here is the Intel configuration I came up with:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core ($169.99)
Motherboard - Intel DX38BT ($209.99)
 * Intel X38    chipset
 * 6x SATA, 2x eSATA
 * 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
 * 1x PCIe 1.0a x16 (electrical x4)
 * 1x Intel 82566DC gigabit ethernet

>From what I read, the X38 is not very different from the 925 chipset
which is supported well in Open Solaris. Also, I chose the Intel
chipset over the nVidia nForice chipsets because I guessed that Intel
CPU + Intel chipset would be a safe bet.

For the AMD configuration, I had trouble picking a chipset. nForce or
AMD? I don't know. Picking the CPU was easy. Here is the AMD + nForce
configuration:

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W
Dual-Core ($77.00)
Motherboard - XFX MDA72P7509 ($134.99)
 * nVidia nForce 750a SLI chipset
 * 6x SATA, 1x eSATA
 * 2x PCIe 2.0 x16
 * nVidia GeForce 8 series integrated video
 * 1x Marvell gigabit ethernet

Here is the AMD + AMD 790GX configuration:

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W
Dual-Core ($77.00)
Motherboard - ASUS M3A78-T ($149.99)
 * AMD 790GX / SB750 chipset
 * 5x, 1x eSATA (no optimal, since I need 6, but if this is the better
chipset, i'll get my sata hba sooner)
 * 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16
 * ATI Radeon HD 3300 GPU
 * 1x Marvell 88E8056 gigabit ethernet

I picked the 790GX of the 790 series because it has integrated video.
Also, I avoided the SB600 southbridge as I have read there are SATA
DMA issues with it. The nForce and AMD chipsets are very new but
aren't too different from their predecessors. I don't mind going AMD
because the CPU is rated at 45W, so I won't completely miss the
benefits of the CPU frequency scaling that the Intel supports. Right
now, I'm leaning towards the AMD + nForce 750a configuration. But the
Intel option isn't bad either. Sun sells the Intel X38 in the Ultra 24
workstation. The AMD 790 option is there because I'm not sure which
chipset to choose from for AMD processors.

So, have any of you used any of these chipsets with Open Solaris? Any
success or failure stories?
Are there any reasons I should steer far away from any of the above chipsets?
Any solid reason I should pick one CPU over the other?

Thanks in advance!