On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Todd H. Poole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hmm... I'm leaning away a bit from the hardware, but just in case you've
> got an idea, the machine is as follows:
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model
> ADH4850DOBOX (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103255)
>
> Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX All Solid Capacitor
> AMD Motherboard (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128081)
>
> RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
> Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122)
>
> HDD (x4): Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA
> 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151)
>
> The reason why I don't think there's a hardware issue is because before I
> got OpenSolaris up and running, I had a fully functional install of openSuSE
> 11.0 running (with everything similar to the original server) to make sure
> that none of the components were damaged during shipping from Newegg.
> Everything worked as expected.
>
> Furthermore, before making my purchases, I made sure to check the HCL and
> my processor and motherboard combination are supported:
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/systems/details/3079.html
>
> But, like I said earlier, I'm new here, so you might be on to something
> that never occurred to me.
>
> Any ideas?

What are you using to connect the HD's to the system?  The onboard ports?
What driver is being used?  AHCI, or IDE compatibility mode?

I'm not saying the hardware is bad, I'm saying the hardware is most likely
the cause by way of driver.  There really isn't any *setting* in solaris I'm
aware of that says "hey, freeze my system when a drive dies".  That just
sounds like hot-swap isn't working as it should be.

--Tim