Keith Bierman wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:
>

>> than a private copy. I wouldn't expect that to have too big an impact (I
>>

> On a SPARC CMT (Niagara 1+) based system wouldn't that be likely to have
> a large impact?

UltraSPARC T1 has no hardware SHA256 so I wouldn't expect any real
change from running the private software sha256 copy in ZFS versus the
software sha256 in the crypto framework.  The software sha256 in crypto
framework has very little (if any) optimization for sun4v.

An UltraSPARC T2 has on chip SHA256 and it should have a good impact on
performance to use the crypto framework.  I don't have the data to hand
a the moment.

--
Darren J Moffat