gm_sjo wrote:

> Are you not infact losing performance by reducing the
> amount of spindles used for a given pool?

This depends. Usually, RAIDZ1/2 isn't a good performancer when it comes
to random access read I/O, for instance. If I wanted to scale
performance by adding spindles, I would use mirrors (RAID 10). If you
want to scale filesystem sizes, RAIDZ is your friend.

I once had the problem that I needed a high random I/O performance and
at least a 11 TB large filesystem on a X4500. Mirroring was out of the
question (not enough disk space left), and RAIDZ gave me only about 25%
of the performance of the existing Linux ext2 boxes I had to compete
with. But in the end, striping 13 RAIDZ sets of 3 drives each + 1 hot
spare delivered acceptable results in both categories. But it took me a
lot of benchmarks to get there.

--

Ralf Ramge
Senior Solaris Administrator, SCNA, SCSA

Tel. +49-721-91374-3963
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://web.de/

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss,
Achim Weiss