Hello Nils,

Thursday, September 18, 2008, 11:15:37 AM, you wrote:

NG> Hi Peter,

NG> Sorry, I have read you post after posting a reply myself.

NG> Peter Tribble wrote:
>> No. The number of spindles is constant. The snag is that for random reads,
>> the performance of a raidz1/2 vdev is essentially that of a single disk. (The
>> writes are fast because they're always full-stripe; but so are the reads.)

NG> Can you elaborate on this?

NG> My understanding is that with RAIDZ the writes are always full-stripe for as
NG> much data as can be agglomerated into a single contiguous write, but I
thought
NG> this did not imply that all of the data has to be read at once except with a
NG> degraded RAID.

NG> What about for instance writing 16MB chunks and reading 8K random? Wouldn't
NG> RAIDZ access only the disks containing the 8K bits?

Basically, the way RAID-Z works is that it spreads FS block to all
disks in a given VDEV, minus parity/checksum disks). Because when you
read data back from zfs before it gets to application zfs will check
it's checksum (fs checksum, not a raid-z one) so it needs entire fs
block... which is spread to all data disks in a given vdev.

--
Best regards,
 Robert Milkowski                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]