Hi Wade,

We considered a number of approaches including just deleting oldest snapshots
first
and progressing through to the newest snapshots.
When  you consider the default snapshot schedules we are going to use, the
model is that snapshots get thinned out over time. So in situations were disk
space runs low, we stay consistent with this model but accelerate the aging
process
and thin out snapshots quicker, instead of just chopping the end off.
The exception to this is that frequent snapshots will only get deleted as a
very last
resort. The reason for this is that  frequent snapshots typically consume very
little
space, and they will get deleted within an hour or so anyway. And more
importantly,
the most common type of error is human error rather than hardware failure, such
as
accidentally deleting or overwriting a file or corrupting it. These kind of
errors are usually
noticed instantly or very soon after the event so retaining the frequent
snapshots will
hopefully provide some reasonable protection against this most common type of
error.

Cheers,
Niall.