    js> If it works for your system, be happy. I mentioned that the
    js> controller may not be usable in all systems as it hangs up the
    js> BIOS in my machine if there is a disk connected to the card.

There are three different chips under discussion, though.  Neither
positive report in the thread is for the 3114, but for the other
two chips.

I agree the company is sketchy---it's the same one that made those
crappy CMD PATA chips that crippled teh IDE in the Sun Ultra 5/10, and
the older CMD chips that corrupted data on lots of Linux systems.

But they may be the least of evils, and one of very few options for
people who care about software freedom.  Also they seem to be the only
ones actually making SATA port multipliers instead of just talking
about them.

sil3124 works fine for me in Linux, with EFI labels.  haven't tried
solaris because the SATA stack doesn't work under SPARC.