For a root device it doesn't matter that much. You're not going to be
writing to the device at a high data rate so write/erase cycles don't
factor much (MLC can sustain about a factor of 10 more). With MLC
you'll get 2-4x the capacity for the same price, but again that
doesn't matter much for a root device. Performance is typically a bit
better with SLC -- especially on the write side -- but it's not such a
huge difference.

The reason you'd use a flash SSD for a boot device is power (with
maybe a dash of performance), and either SLC or MLC will do just fine.

Adam

Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl