on the advice of Okana in the freenode.net #opensolaris channel I tried to run
the latest opensolaris livecd and try to import the pool. No luck, however I
tried the trick in Lukas's post that allowed him to import the pool and I had a
beginning of luck.

By doing the mdb wizardry he indicated I was able to run zpool import with the
following result:
pool: ztank
id: whatever
state: ONLINE
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
see http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY

config:
  ztank        ONLINE
    raidz1     ONLINE
      c4t0d0 ONLINE
      c4t1d0 ONLINE
      c4t2d0 ONLINE
      c4t3d0 ONLINE
      c4t4d0 ONLINE
      c4t5d0 ONLINE

HOWEVER.
When I attempt again to import using zdb -e ztank
I still get zdb: can't open ztank: I/O error
and zpool import -f, whilst it starts and seems to access the disks
sequentially, it stops al the 3rd one (no sure which precisely - it spins it up
and the process stops right there, and the system will not reboot when asked to
(shutdown -g0 -y -i5)
so there's some slight progress here.

I would really appreciate ideas from you guys!

Thanks
Vasile