Ok I'm taking a step back here.  Forgetting the incremental for a minute (which
is the part causing the segmentation fault), I'm simply trying to use zfs send
-R to get a whole filesystem and all of its snapshots.  I ran the following,
after creating a compressed pool called backup :

zfs send -R datapool/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | zfs recv -dv backup

datapool/shares has three snapshots - BACKUP081007, BACKUP20081008, and just
BACKUP, in that age order.  However, the command above creates backup/shares
and backup/[EMAIL PROTECTED], and the contents of backup/shares seems to be
from that (the oldest) snapshot.  The newer (and explicitly specified)
snapshot, BACKUP20081008 snapshot doesn't get copied over as a snapshot, and
its contents don't get copied over into the backup/shares as the "current"
snapshot.  Am I doing something wrong here?  Possibly having that additional,
newer, generic BACKUP snapshot (I just wanted a snapshot to always represent
the newest backup, so I created BACKUP20081008 and then BACKUP immediately
afterwards) messed it up?  Can I not transfer over snapshots from a certain
point backwards in time, or does zfs send -R require sending from the newest
snapshot backwards, or am I off altogether?

Thanks!