Hey, all!

We've recently used six x4500 Thumpers, all publishing ~28TB iSCSI targets over
ip-multipathed 10GB ethernet, to build a ~150TB ZFS pool on an x4200 head node.
In trying to discover optimal ZFS pool construction settings, we've run a
number of iozone tests, so I thought I'd share them with you and see if you
have any comments, suggestions, etc.

First, on a single Thumper, we ran baseline tests on the direct-attached
storage (which is collected into a single ZFS pool comprised of four raidz2
groups)...

[1GB file size, 1KB record size]
Command: iozone -i o -i 1 -i 2 -r 1k -s 1g -f /data-das/perftest/1gbtest
Write: 123919
Rewrite: 146277
Read: 383226
Reread: 383567
Random Read: 84369
Random Write: 121617

[8GB file size, 512KB record size]
Command:
Write:  373345
Rewrite:  665847
Read:  2261103
Reread:  2175696
Random Read:  2239877
Random Write:  666769

[64GB file size, 1MB record size]
Command: iozone -i o -i 1 -i 2 -r 1m -s 64g -f /data-das/perftest/64gbtest
Write: 517092
Rewrite: 541768
Read: 682713
Reread: 697875
Random Read: 89362
Random Write: 488944

These results look very nice, though you'll notice that the random read numbers
tend to be pretty low on the 1GB and 64GB tests (relative to their sequential
counterparts), but the 8GB random (and sequential) read is unbelievably good.

Now we move to the head node's iSCSI aggregate ZFS pool...

[1GB file size, 1KB record size]
Command: iozone -i o -i 1 -i 2 -r 1k -s 1g -f
/volumes/data-iscsi/perftest/1gbtest
Write:  127108
Rewrite:  120704
Read:  394073
Reread:  396607
Random Read:  63820
Random Write:  5907

[8GB file size, 512KB record size]
Command: iozone -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 -r 512 -s 8g -f
/volumes/data-iscsi/perftest/8gbtest
Write:  235348
Rewrite:  179740
Read:  577315
Reread:  662253
Random Read:  249853
Random Write:  274589

[64GB file size, 1MB record size]
Command: iozone -i o -i 1 -i 2 -r 1m -s 64g -f
/volumes/data-iscsi/perftest/64gbtest
Write:  190535
Rewrite:  194738
Read:  297605
Reread:  314829
Random Read:  93102
Random Write:  175688

Generally speaking, the results look good, but you'll notice that random writes
are atrocious on the 1GB tests and random reads are not so great on the 1GB and
64GB tests, but the 8GB test looks great across the board. Voodoo! ;>
Incidentally, I ran all these tests against the ZFS pool in disk, raidz1, and
raidz2 modes - there were no significant changes in the results.

So, how concerned should we be about the low scores here and there? Any
suggestions on how to improve our configuration? And how excited should we be
about the 8GB tests? ;>

Thanks so much for any input you have!
-Gray
---