The original disk failure was very explicit.  High Read Errors and errors
inside /var/adm/messages.

When I replaced the disk however, these have all gone and the resilver was
okay.  I am not seeing any read/write or /var/adm/messages errors -- but for
some reason I am seeing errors inside the CKSUM column which I've never seen
before.

I hope you're right and it's a simple memory corruption problem.   I will be
running memtest86 overnight and hopefully it fails so we can rule our zfs.