Greetings.

I'm currently looking into creating a better solution for my combination of Sun
xVM Virtualbox and ZFS.

I have two 500g sata drives configured into a zpool. I've used virtualbox for
awhile, as well as zfs, so I am familiar with their functionalities. My main
question, is more of a theory or 'best practice' based concern with the two
entities.

Right now I have a zfs filesystem that holds all of my virtualbox vdi files, as
well as the machine files. This really isn't a space saving situation, because
the use of zfs clones/snapshots encompasses the entire zfs filesystem
(tank/xvm), so I was wondering if any of you had a better solution.

I usually create 'gold' images of virtual machines after successful OS
installation + vbox tools. I would then use the virtualbox clonevdi commands to
create more vdi files when I'd like to test different situations. I don't like
the virtualbox snapshots as much as fresh vdi files.

As of right now, I was thinking of creating a 'gold image' zfs filesystem
(tank/xvm/VDI/gold), and then the snapshot+clone techniques  to create
something like: tank/xvm/VDI/clones. The problem is that if I ever add a new
'gold vdi file', it does not effect the clones, so I won't be saving the disk
space when I clone that vdi file. I am certain I'll be testing more OS's than
the current ones, so scalability is a concern.

Anyone have a similar setup, but with better results, or maybe something I
could use as an idea?

Thanks in advance,

                Steve