> If that were the case, why would it matter if I was logged into the console,
> and why would subdirectories of my home exhibit better write performance
> than the top level home directory?  A write to /export/home/username is
> slower than to /export/home/username/blah, but ONLY if that user is logged
> into the console.

This smells of name resolution delays somewhere.  Do you have
a shell prompt that gets some host name or user name from
name services?  Is your /home directory owned by a non-existing
user or group?  Do you accidentally have something enabled
in /etc/nsswitch.conf that does not exist (ldap, nis, nis+)?
Maybe the first miss gets cached and all other misses get resolved
from the cache?

Or your nscd is disabled/confused/broken disabled altogether?

You have an interesting problem there...

Good luck -- Volker