Ok, I have recieved a new set of NICs and a new switch and the problem still
remains.

Just for something to do I ran some tests:

Copying a 200Mb file over scp from the main problem workstation to a totally
unrelated gentoo linux box. Absolutely no problems.

So I thought it was down to the zfs fileserver. Then I ran the same test to
the zfs filer just to check. Absolutely no problems again...."!$%?&%^

I may just be getting light-headed from the hair pulling, but it seems that
the problem only occurs when the traffic is going thru the CIFS server.

I'm going to write a new thread to cifs-discuss and provide them some
captures, maybe they have a clue why this might happen.

I'm also going to switch back to the snv_95 BE I still have on the server,
it's possible it might have some effect.

Thanks

Matt