    pb> I really need a step-by-step 'how to' to access this box from
    pb> my OSX Leopard

What you need for NFS on a laptop is a good automount daemon and a
'umount -f' command that actually does what the man page claims.

The automounter in Leopard works well.  The one in Tiger doesn't---has
quirks and often needs to be rebooted.  AFAICT both 10.4 and 10.5 have
an 'umount -f' that works better than Linux and *BSD.

You can use the automounter by editing files in /etc, but a better way
might be to use the Directory Utility.  Here is an outdated guide, not
for Leopard:

 http://www.behanna.org/osx/nfs/howto4.html

The Leopard steps are:

 1. Open Directory Utility
 2. pick Mounts in the tab-bar
 3. click the Lock in the lower-left corner and authenticate
 4. press +
 5. unroll Advanced Mount Parameters
 6. fill out the form something like this:

   Remote NFS URL: nfs://10.100.100.149/export
   Mount location: /Network/terabithia/export
   Advanced Mount Parameters: nosuid nodev locallocks
   [x] Ignore "set user ID" privileges

 7. Press Verify
 8. Press Apply, or press Command-S

the locallocks mount parameter should be removed.  I need it with old
versions of Linux and Mac OS 10.5.  I don't need it with
10.4+oldLinux, and hopefully 10.5+Solaris won't need it either.

There is a 'net' mount parameter which changes Finder's behavior.
Also it might be better to mount on some tree outside /Network and
/Volumes since these seem to have some strange special meanings.
ymmv.

At my site I also put 'umask 000' in /etc/launchd.conf to,
err....match user expectations of how the office used to work with
SMB.  For something fancier, you may have to get the Macs and Suns to
share userids with LDAP.  Someone recently posted a PDF here about an
ozzie site serious about Macs that'd done so:

 http://www.afp548.com/filemgmt_data/files/OSX%20HSM.pdf

Another thing worth knowing: macs throw up these boxes that say
something like

 Server gone.

       [Disconnect]

with a big red Disocnnect button.  If your NFS server reboots, they'll
throw one of these boxes at you.  It looks like you only have one
choice.  You actually have three:

 1. ignore the box
 2. press the tiny red [x] in the upper-left corner of the box
 3. press disconnect

If you do (3), Mac OS will do 'umount -f' for you.  At the time the
box appears, the umount has not been done yet.

If you do (1) or (2), any application using the NFS server (including
potentially Finder and all its windows, not just the NFS windows) will
pinwheel until the NFS server comes back.  When it does come back, all
the apps will continue without data loss, and if you did (1) the box
will also disappear on its own.  The error handling is quite good and
in line with Unixy expectations and NFS statelessness.