wow, well done peeps, that was the problem!  Request to re-number that bug to
666.  Totally evil, and what a waste of time that has caused.  Anyway, I have
internet access from the box, which allowed me to easily install SMB which
after a bit of messing around has now allowed me to access the box from OSX via
SMB :))

I re-tested the NFS, but that still failed, but to be honest, I'm happier with
smb anyway since it allows my other machines easier access to the zfs pool.

thanks to all for the emails and postings here.
Peter