-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bryan Cantrill
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:39 PM
To: Adam Leventhal
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] OpenStorage GUI

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:31:26AM -0800, Adam Leventhal wrote:
> > Is this software available for people who already have thumpers?
>
> We're considering offering an upgrade path for people with existing
> thumpers. Given the feedback we've been hearing, it seems very likely
> that we will. No word yet on pricing or availability.

Just to throw some ice-cold water on this:

  1.  It's highly unlikely that we will ever support the x4500 -- only
the
      x4540 is a real possibility.

  2.  If we do make something available, your data and any custom
      software won't survive the journey:  you will be forced to
      fresh-install your x4540 with our stack.

  3.  If we do make something available, it will become an appliance:
you
      will permanently lose the ability to run your own apps on the
x4540.

  4.  If we do make something available, it won't be free.

If you are willing/prepared(/eager?) to abide by these constraints,
please let us ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) know -- that will help us build the
business case for doing this...

        - Bryan

------

1. Can someone let me know who to talk to about upgrading our 4500's
(offline is fine).  We did buy them about 3 weeks before the new 4540
was announced and were pretty stung that our rep didn't tell us what was
on the horizon.. Im an apple user so im pretty used to that anyways.  I
just didn't know that there was a path for upgrading to what a 4540 is.

2. That's why we bought 2 and keep each half full :)

3. I like that, even better would be a way to install it without
dedicating spindles to OS.

4. I am ok with value added software being sold by Sun.  We don't mind
paying money if it makes our job actually less complex each workday!

Im going to give this vmware image a whirl and see what its missing :)

-Andy

PS - sorry for the incorrect format for responding, I didn't have a real
email client available today.