These are the conditions:

(1) The bug is specific to the root pool.  Other pools are unaffected.
(2) It is triggered by doing a 'zpool online' while I/O is in flight.
(3) Item (2) can be triggered by syseventd.
(4) The bug is new in build 102.  Builds 101 and earlier are fine.

I believe the following should be a viable workaround until build 103:

(1) svcadm disable -t sysevent
(2) Don't run zpool online on your root pool

Jeff