On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Eric Schrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, we support adding whole or half JBODs.  We do not support adding
> individual disks or arbitrarily populated JBODs.  If you want the
> ability to survive JBOD failure ("NSPF" in our storage config terms),
> you must add JBODs in groups (i.e. two at a time in a mirrored config)
> so that we can mirror/RAID across them.  Even without NSPF, we have
> redundant cables, HBAs, power supplies, and controllers, so this is only
> required if you are worried about disk backplane failure (a very rare
> failure mode).
>
> Can you point to the literature that suggests this is not possible?
>
> - Eric
>
> --
> Eric Schrock, Fishworks
> http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock

Actually I think it was your blog :D

Specifically this post:
http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock/entry/fishworks_storage_configuration

And this passage:
"If there is a broken or missing disk, we don't let you proceed without
explicit confirmation. The reason we do this is that once the storage pool
is configured, there is no way to add those disks to the pool without
changing the RAS and performance characteristics you specified during
configuration."

The post as a whole makes it unclear if you are able to add more disk in the
future or not without changing your RAS/performance.  That specific example,
after re-reading, appears to be referring to the "one broken disk(s)".  I
guess everything I've read about fishworks talks about "making your choice"
at first configuration, and doesn't really make it clear what the process or
requirements are for adding disk in the future.  Knowing zfs, I made the
assumption that it was possible via means like you've described above.  If I
had no exposure to zfs though, it might be a bit less clear, and I guess in
this case, I wasn't 100% positive even with the background I have.

If I've missed something, it wouldn't be the first time ADD has gotten the
best of me, so I apologize.  Feel free to correct as you see fit.

Thanks for the help,

--Tim