On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 20:54, BJ Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1.  Dedup is what I really want, but it's not implemented yet.
Yes, as I read it.  greenBytes [1] claims to have dedup on their
system; you might investigate them if you decide rsync won't work for
your application.

> 2.  The only other way to accomplish this sort of thing is rsync (in other
> words, don't overwrite the block in the first place if it's not different),
> and if I'm on Windows, I'll just have to go ahead and install rsync on my
> Windows boxes if I want it to work correctly.
I believe so, yes.  Other programs may have the same capability, but
rsync by any other name would smell as sweet.

> Wmurnane, you mentioned there was a Windows-based rsync daemon.  Did you mean
> one other than the cygwin-based version?  I didn't know of any native Windows
> rsync software.
The link I gave ([2]) contains a version of rsync which is
``self-contained''---it does use Cygwin libraries, but it includes its
own copies of the ones it needs.  It's also nicely integrated with the
Windows management tools, in that it uses a Windows service and
Windows scheduled tasks to do its job rather than re-inventing
circular rolling things everywhere.

Will

[1]: http://www.green-bytes.com/
[2]: http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp