It's hard to tell exactly what you are asking for, but this sounds
similar to how ZFS already works.  If ZFS decides that a device is
pathologically broken (as evidenced by vdev_probe() failure), it knows
that FMA will come back and diagnose the drive is faulty (becuase we
generate a probe_failure ereport).  So ZFS pre-emptively short circuits
all I/O and treats the drive as faulted, even though the diagnosis
hasn't come back yet.  We can only do this for errors that have a 1:1
correspondence with faults.

- Eric