Francois Dion wrote:
>  >>"Francois Dion" wrote:
>  >> Source is local to rsync, copying from a zfs file system,
>  >> destination is remote over a dsl connection. Takes forever to just
>  >> go through the unchanged files. Going the other way is not a
>  >> problem, it takes a fraction of the time. Anybody seen that?
>  >> Suggestions?
>  >De: Blake Irvin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  >Upstream when using DSL is much slower than downstream?
>
> No, that's not the problem. I know ADSL is assymetrical. When there is
> an actual data transfer going on, the cpu drops to 0.2%. It's only when
> rsync is doing its thing (reading, not writing) locally that it pegs the
> cpu. We are talking 15 minutes in one direction while in the other it
> looks like I'll pass the 24 hours mark before the rsync is complete. And
> there were less than 100MB added on each side.
>
> BTW, the only other process I've seen that pegs the cpu solid for as
> long as it runs on my v480 is when I downloaded Belenix through a python
> script (btdownloadheadless).

Is the list of files long? rsync 3.0.X does not use a monolithic file list
pull and uses less memory...

Are you using a -c option or other option that causes rsync to checksum every
block of all the files?

Is the zfs file system compressed, so it has to decompress each block so that
rsync can checksum it?