I agree completely with your assessment of the problems Gary, when ZFS can't
correct your data you do seem to be at high risk of loosing data, although some
people are able to recover it with the help of a couple of helpful souls on
this forum.

I can think of one scenario where you might be able to turn this configuration
to your advantage though.  If you have two SAN's for redundancy, it would be
possible to link each to your ZFS server and create a ZFS mirror.  That then
gives you the best of both worlds (while potentially avoiding SAN remote
mirroring licences which tend to be expensive).

You could also potentially mirror to a local disk, although I suspect that will
have a noticeable impact on performance in most situations.

Failing that, as others have suggested, export multiple LUN's from your SAN and
create a ZFS raid array or mirror.