On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:30:30PM -0600, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:46:40PM -0600, Gary Mills wrote:
> > On the server, a variety of filesystems can be created on this virtual
> > disk.  UFS is most common, but ZFS has a number of advantages over
> > UFS.  Two of these are dynamic space management and snapshots.  There
> > are also a number of objections to employing ZFS in this manner.
> > ``ZFS cannot correct errors'', and ``you will lose all of your data''
> > are two of the alarming ones.  Isn't ZFS supposed to ensure that data
> > written to the disk are always correct?  What's the real problem here?
>
> ZFS has very strong error detection built-in, and for mirrored and
> RAID-Zed pools can recover from errors automatically as long as there's
> a mirror left or enough disks in RAID-Z left to complete the recovery.

Oh, but I get it: all the redundancy here would be in the SAN, and the
ZFS pools would have no mirrors, no RAID-Z.

As I said:

> Note that you'll generally be better off using RAID-Z than HW RAID-5.

Precisely because ZFS can reconstruct the correct data if it's
responsible for redundancy.

But note that the setup you describe puts ZFS in no worse a situation
than any other filesystem.