On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Joseph Zhou wrote:

> In that spirit, and looking at the NetApp virtual server support
> architecture, I would say --
> as much as the ONTAP/WAFL thing (even with GX integration) is elegant, it
> would make more sense to utilize the file system capabilities with kernal
> integration to hypervisors, in virtual server deployments, instead of
> promoting a storage-device-based file system and data management solution
> (more proprietary at the solution level).

I am not an enterprise architect but I do agree that when multiple
client OSs are involved it is still useful if storage looks like a
legacy disk drive.  Luckly Solaris already offers iSCSI in Solaris 10
and OpenSolaris is now able to offer high performance fiber channel
target and fiber channel over ethernet layers on top of reliable ZFS.
The full benefit of ZFS is not provided, but the storage is
successfully divorced from the client with a higher degree of data
reliability and performance than is available from current firmware
based RAID arrays.

Bob