On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:41:32 -0500, David Magda
<dma...@ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:

>On Jan 6, 2009, at 14:21, Rob wrote:
>
>> Obviously ZFS is ideal for large databases served out via
>> application level or web servers. But what other practical ways are
>> there to integrate the use of ZFS into existing setups to experience
>> it's benefits.
>
>Remember that ZFS is made up of the ZPL and the DMU (amongst other
>things). The ZPL is the POSIX compatibility layer that most of us use.
>The DMU is the actual transactional object model that stores the
>actual data objects (e.g. files).
>
>It would technically be possible for (say) MySQL to create a database
>engine on top of that transactional store.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen,
given that:

- InnoDB used to be the only transactional
  storage engine in MySQL

- Innobase, the creator of InnoDB, has been
  acquired by Oracle

- MySQL desparately needs a replacement
  for the InnoDB storage engine

- MySQL has been acquired by SUN

- ZFS (ZPL,DMU) is by SUN.

- performance of the MySQL/InnoDB/ZFS stack is sub-optimal.

No, I don't have any inside information.
--
  (  Kees Nuyt
  )