Just a hunch.. but what kind of drives are you using? Many of the raid card
vendors report that "consumer class" drives are incompatible with their cards
because the drives will spend much longer trying to recover from failure than
the "enterprise class" drives will. This causes the card to think the drive is
bad and report a failure.

I'm not exactly qualified to make that diagnosis though so take it with a big
lump of salt. I have been somewhat curious to know how zfs is able to deal with
these problems that pop up with the hardware raid cards and consumer drives.