Brad wrote:
> I'd like to track a server's ZFS pool I/O throughput over time. What's a good
> data source to use for this? I like zpool iostat for this, but if I poll at
> two points in time I would get a number since boot (e.g. 1.2M) and a current
> number (e.g. 1.3K). If I use the current number then I've lost data between
> polling intervals. But if I use the number since boot it's not precise enough
> to be useful.
>
> Is there a kstat equivalent to the I/O since boot? Some other good data
> source?
>
> And then is there a similar kstat equivalent to iostat? Would both data
> values then allow me to trend file i/O versus physical disk I/O?

Well, iostat gets its data from kstat, so it is really impossible to
separate the two.

Most folks who want performance data collection all day long will
enable accounting and use sar.  sar also uses kstats.  Or you can
write your own scripts.  Or there are a number of third party tools
which will collect long-term stats and provide nice reports or
capacity planning information.  Actually, there is a whole book
written on Solaris performance tools:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131568191?tag=solarisintern-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0131568191&adid=049SKSTPKNAJ9EZ23JW1&;

 -- richard