On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Tim wrote:

> Remember that one time when I talked about limiting snapshots to protect a
> user from themselves, and you joined into the fray of people calling me a
> troll?  Can you feel the irony oozing out between your lips, or are you
> completely oblivious to it?

Tim,

I admire that you are able to keep your trolls on topic, quite unlike
JZ.  This is a clear indication that you are not yet qualified for the
rubber room.

If you don't like the simplified nature of the Sun Unified Storage
7000 products, you always have the option of building your own system
based on your preferred hardware, and OpenSolaris (or Linux), just as
you did before.  The mere existence of these products should not annoy
you.

It seems likely that Sun discovered that raw Solaris and system
configuration is too difficult for many "Windows" shops to grasp so
they introduced a simplified appliance product line which is
engineered entirely by Sun, and with a simplified administration
interface which does not require a lot of training to understand.

Since the product is entirely engineered by Sun, they can ensure that
the provided disk drives and configuration are carefully matched
(based on testing and analysis) in order to offer the best
price/performance ratio.

Bob